birding-aus

Re: Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo origin

To: "John Gamblin" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo origin
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:09:53 +1000
John Gamblin asked: (edited)
"A certain female wild bird rehabber overseas asks did our yellow and red tailed black cockatoos derive their colouring from sitting too close to their aboriginal fire, considering once upon a time they were of the same genes stock of the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo."

I don't know how many of you see the generally entertaining animated items used as fill ins on ABC TV, that purport to be of aboriginal legends. Whilst I have doubt about veracity of the origin of some stories, especially as one I saw about birds quarrelling about which could fly highest is almost identical to a legend from Europe and sometimes they resemble Aesop's stories and are certainly Lamarkian rather than Darwinian. Anyway I saw one that did purport to tell the legend something like of Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos having "derived their colouring from sitting too close to their aboriginal fire".

Philip