birding-aus

RFI: newhaven and some wish list birds

Subject: RFI: newhaven and some wish list birds
From: john boyce <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:38:21 +1000
Hi everyone,
my parents and brother are about to go on a 2.5 month trip through the
centre(ish) and up to Weipa. The very rough trip plan includes
Dalhousie, Uluru, Weipa, Jullaten, Cook Town, Eungella, Maroochydore,
and maybe Newhaven.
        Firstly how accessible is Newhaven at the moment. They are a bit
worried that driving in and out to Newhaven is a long way without any
petrol access and there would also be lots of driving possibilities
within Newhaven so what is the closest site to Newhaven with petrol?
        Secondly my brother is getting on towards 600 aus species and
wondered if anyone has any tips on spots where he might have a chance to
see any of the following (I think Iron Range is out of the question);
Palm Cockatoo, Golden-shouldered Parrot, Yellow-billed Kingfisher,
Magnificent Riflebird, Trumpet Manucode,Tawny-breasted Honeyeater,
Frilled Monarch, Yellow-legged Flycatcher, Black-breasted ButtonQuail,
Princess Parrot, Great Frigatebird,Superb Fruitdove, White-eared
Monarch, Short-tailed Grasswren, Mangrove Honeyeater,Black-backed
Butcherbird, Large-tailed Nightjar,White-throated
Nightjar,Chestnut-breasted Quailthrush, Spotted Whistling Duck.
 Also does anyone have any information on Spotted Cuscus.
Thanks for any help or general tips (I will pass on everything to them)
John