birding-aus

Mt Warning Caravan Park

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mt Warning Caravan Park
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:24:34 +1000
I have just spent two nights at Mt Warning Caravan Park.  The weather was
clear and cold nights with cool sunny days.

My walking is confined to a few hundred yards at a time with rest in
between.  This is much better than a few months ago so it was great to be
out even if I was restricted to a radius of about 200 metres.

This is not meant to be a trip report but rather to express my surprise at
the most common (and numerous) birds of the last two days.

The most common and numerous species was Topknot Pigeon closely followed by
Australian King Parrot.  There was one flock of more than 100 birds
constantly flying around and over the area and roosting in the trees at
night.  There were flocks of smaller numbers seen constantly but whether
they were from the larger flock or not was not clear.  I felt (but could not
prove) that there were more than 200 birds in the area.

The King Parrots were in numerous groups of up to 40 birds.  There were in
just about every tree as well as flying over.

As I walked under a tree on Saturday morning, the Topknots decided that they
should vacate the early morning feed and started flying out to the other
side of the camp ground.  It was wonderful to count 10, 20, etc until the
count reached 103.  All without moving and the birds flying about 3 metres
above my head.

Terry Pacey