birding-aus

OBP in NSW

To: "barren.grounds" <>
Subject: OBP in NSW
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:30:15 +1000

Is Towra Point worth a visit?

Andy

On three occasions in late May, a resident walking his dog at Bass Point,
Shellharbour, flushed a small green parrot from a patch of weeds next to a
carpark. He identified it as an Orange-bellied Parrot and took a series of
photos of the bird, also noting that it was banded.  He rang a number of
different groups to report it, including national parks and the banding
office, but no-one seemed to take him seriously, eventually mailing the
photos to the Aust Museum. The local council weeded the area a few days
after he found the parrot and it hasn't been seen since.  I have only just
heard of this and got the man's details via the museum.  I've examined all
his photos and visited the site with him.  The parrot in the photos looks
for all the world like a juvenile OBP, and the fact that it is colour banded
on both legs in a manner consistent with the combinations used at Melaleuca,
Tas., strongly suggests that it is an OBP and not a hybrid something that
has escaped from an aviary, as I understand aviculturists usually use only
one band.  The last sighting of an OBP in NSW was at Shoalhaven in 1986.

I would strongly encourage anyone visiting coastal saltmarsh and weedy areas
in NSW to keep a lookout for neophema parrots and report any sightings.

Jonathan Starks
Winter co-ordinator, OBP Recovery Program

--
Andy Burton's Bush Tours
52 Abingdon Rd,

Ph 61 2 9416 2636