birding-aus

An afternoon on Narrow Neck

To: <>
Subject: An afternoon on Narrow Neck
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:18:52 +1000
>Hi Carol and all

Carol Probert wrote in part :

"> The banksias are flowering and as expected, there were large numbers of
> honeyeaters, though nothing like the numbers that were here in the winter
> of 2000, which was a fantastic season. Today the area was alive with Red
> Wattlebirds - they were everywhere - and the usual New Hollands and
Eastern
> Spinebills with moderate numbers of Yellow-faced and White-naped. Crescent
> Honeyeaters were also very numerous, in some spots outdoing the New
> Hollands with their loud calls and aerial chases."

On the Monday just gone , on a not so fine winters day, I visited Barrington
Tops. Poll Blue swamp looked beautiful with snow and ice splashed about
everywhere. No birds here however, very colds and windy.
 However a bit lower down at Dilgry River Banksia Camp the Banksias were in
flower and honeyeaters where everywhere. By far the most common were Eastern
Spinebills by the hundreds. Red Wattlebirds were prominent and Yellow faced
Honeyeaters numerous, followed by New Holland and White-naped. No Crescents.
I have seen them at Gloucester Tops once a bit further south, which I think
is about their Northern limit. Also present were Yellow tailed Black
Cockatoos, White throated Treecreepers , Brown Thornbills, Crimson Rosellas
and Pied Currawongs. We have also had some Brown-headed Honeyeaters at home
during the last week.

A stop off at Stroud Road on the way up gave me my best ever views of
Southern Emu Wren. Three males and 1 female in full sun sitting on dead
branches of small bushes just above the long grass level.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW