birding-aus

Goonoo State Forest, Dubbo 24 May 03

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Goonoo State Forest, Dubbo 24 May 03
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:05:29 +1000
Hi all

Robin Murray and I visited Goonoo, guided by Janis Hosking.  A wonderful day
that ended with the spectacle of watching over
150 Glossy Black-Cockatoos congregating at a dam, allopreening and waddling
down to the water to drink.

Other goodies for the day were:

3 Speckled Warblers, with very strong markings on the breast
Striped Honeyeater
40 White-winged Choughs
White-browed Babblers - as always coming to check you out, making some protest,
but then getting back to the business of
scratching around for food
Red-capped Robin - Mum, Dad and immature
Pied Butcherbird on the ground in a paddock
12 Emus, very skittish and already running away even though our car was a long
way from them
Double-barred Finches - always terrific to see the complex patterns on such
small birds
Wedge-tailed Eagle

We looked at 2 Malleefowl mounds, one of which had recently been worked, with
the ground and the mound clearly scratched at,
with ready piles of leaves nearby.  Janis said "I wonder what the Mallefowl
knows that we don't" and 3 days later it rained,
for the first time in months.

For the orchid nuts, Pterostylis sp. aff parviflora "Large red-brown" was
happily in flower.

Cheers and Happy Times with Nature

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
S 33°50.278'  E 151°05.406'

Newsletter Editor:  NSW Bird Atlassers
Preferred email address: