birding-aus

re;Woodlands estate,Braeside

To: iandowling <>
Subject: re;Woodlands estate,Braeside
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:41:31 +1000
Hi Ian and others,

I also share your concerns re dogs. After some bad experiences over the years it is getting to the stage where I am now reluctant to visit bush reserves in the early mornings and face the potential wrath of the Pit Bulls and their mates. I regularly see dogs chasing birds, often with the owners apparently oblivious to any problems.

My most recent experience was a beauty and took place in the Irrawong Reserve next to Warriewood Wetlands in Sydney's northern suburbs.

Walking along the track I saw a Border Collie approaching, followed by a man and two little girls aged about 5 and 3, presumably his daughters.

The dog, uninvited, decided to be friendly and jumped up placing its paws on me. I fended it off and quietly advised the man that dogs were not allowed in the reserve...........BAD MOVE.

His more than aggressive reply was:

"I f...ing know that"

I kept quietly moving at a birdwatching pace and remained silent.

He put the dog's lead on.

"Shut your mouth or I'll  f...ing knock it in"

I continued on my slow way, still silent, waiting for his parting words or perhaps a punch in the back of my head.

"Your not meant to be here either you f...ing pig."

He left and shortly after I nervously did the same. I was half expecting his return without his daughters but with weapons of his choosing.

This is not an isolated incident.

In a nearby reserve some years ago I was slobbered on and then bitten on the hand by a Great Dane. The owner couldn't have cared less.

In a lighter vein I was coaching athletes the skills of hurdling recently when an unleashed but supervised dog decided to pee on one of the hurdles. I was not impressed, knowing that I had to handle the hurdles, and relayed this feeling to the dog owner. He remained silent and totally uncaring while his second dog repeated the dose. He didn't even have the grace to apologise.

Regards to you all, even the dog owners!!!!

Andy