birding-aus

Flightless Noisy Miners

To: "Dean Portelli" <>
Subject: Flightless Noisy Miners
From: "Marian Andrews" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:06:06 +1000
Dean
How sad to see something like that. It could take a while before these poor
birds flight feathers grow back, until they go through a moult. I have had
Magpies, and a Crimson Rosella come in to care who have had their flight
feathers cut, as people want them as pets. The Magpie was very friendly, I'd
say the poor thing made a run for it, as I picked it up from a lady who had
found it in her backyard. He wouldn't have come too far. This poor bird went
to an aviary out in the bush and put with other magpies. He did eventually
get released, when his feathers grew back, but he didn't stay in the area,
whether or not he was chased out by other maggies, the lady who released him
didn't know. The Crimson Rosella was a lucky one as the neighbour of these
people which caught that one, took him into his care. He has bought the bird
up to me to check it over, etc., and he has done a good job. The Rosellas
feathers have grown back, I pick him up next week to put in to my large
aviary so it can build up it's wing muscles and be with other Rosellas, then
he will go back to the area from where his family group is and be released
with them. Luckily the neighbours have moved, there are a lot of people
around who do this, and it is very sad as some of them are tamed down which
makes it hard for release. If they are unsure of how to find their natural
foods, they don't survive, they either starve or become easy prey for hawks,
cats and dogs.

Marian