birding-aus

re: Most commonly reported bird in Australia

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: re: Most commonly reported bird in Australia
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:34:27 +1000

Would the Black Faced Cuckoo Shrike really be in the top 5 for most common Australian birds???

Although they may be seen and listed commonly, i wouldn't think that the actual population numbers would compare with the likes of Australian Magpie, Willie Wagtail, and Magpie Lark???

What are peoples thoughts?

Peter

"Tony Palliser" <>
Sent by:

26/06/2003 01:24 PM

"birding-aus" <>
cc
"Andrew Silcocks" <>
Subject
[BIRDING-AUS] re: Most commonly reported bird in Australia

On a nationwide scale I would vote for Australian Magpie Lark, Black-faced
Cuckoo Shrike, Australian Magpie or Willie Wagtail (I prefer Glenn Holmes
suggested common name Ground Fantail, but lets not open that 'can of worms'
again).

While on the subject of the most common birds.  I recall somewhere that
someone once said that the most common bird in Australia is White-winged
Fairy Wren as it has a huge range, i.e. a habitat preference that covers
most of Australia and is very common almost anywhere with Saltbush, Spinifex
and the like.  Not sure that I agree but the concept sounds convincing.
Perhaps Andrew from Birds Australia could give us the answer.

Regards
Tony