birding-aus

Mildura Observations

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Mildura Observations
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:37:25 +1000
Hi Tony & other birders

I went back to the Sewerage Farm today (must have excited myself by sending
that message yesterday) and spent another three hours there.  I did not see
any Freckled Ducks, despite a pretty thorough search, but did add Musk Ducks
(four of them) and Chestnut Teal, a pair.

In 2001, I went to the Sewerage Farm in January and counted over 200
Freckled Duck on the pond.  Early last year when I visited the farm, there
were about 70.  I don't know whether they breed there in the warmer months,
but I think not.

I have brought my "local" list up to 75 now, and there are many more to
come.

Most interesting at present is large populations of Striated Pardalotes (at
least 50 or more along no more than 500 metres of track) and Little
Friarbirds.  These latter were everywhere in the trees along the Northern
side of the farm and appear to have almost totally displaced the Noisy
Miners that usually are the most aggressive and dominant of the woodland
birds in this area. I thought Little Friarbirds wintered up North and am
surprised that the first time I have seen them in this area is when it is
quite a cold (relatively) winter here in Mildura.

The Pardalotes were spending time on the ground, scurrying around, so I
guess they may be in the process of choosing mates and looking for nest hole
sites - it is a suitable area.

Bob Cook
Mildura
North West Victoria