birding-aus

australian shoveler

Subject: australian shoveler
From: Terje Lislevand <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:39:36 +0200

Dear all,

I would be very interested in getting some comments on a picture of a suspected hybrid duck, European Shoveler x Blue-winged Teal seen in Norway recently. My problem with this bird is that it looks very much like an Australian Shoveler (Anas rhyncotis). As I have very little experience with this species myself, l would greatly acknowledge any comments on the picture from those of you who see this bird often.

The picture could be found on the following web page:

http://www.fugler.no

Unfortunately, the text is in Norwegian, but scroll down a little bit and you will easily find the picture. The main characters stated to suggest a hybrid instead of an Australian Shoveler is the dark eye (do all AS have a yellow eye?), the finely spotted grey chest and a "less extreme shoveler bill". Do these points really exclude an Australian Shoveler?

If a hybrid, shouldn't then an Australian Shoveler be involved...? It may seem a little strange on this locality, of course, but many strange ducks occur in various European parks, so it would not be very unlikely to find an escaped bird in Norway, I guess.

Best regards,
Terje Lislevand
Bergen, Norway