birding-aus

something to think about...

To: <>
Subject: something to think about...
From: "Sarah Barber" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:41:10 +1000
Even though I'm not the religous type, I found the following Leunig poem
quite adorable.

Dear God,

    We give thanks for birds. All types of birds. Small birds and large
birds. Domestic fowls, migratory birds and birds of prey, hooting birds,
whistling birds, shrikes, colored parrots and dark darting wrens. Birds too
numerous to mention. We praise them all.
    We mourn the loss of certain species and pray for the deliverance of
endangered ones. We pray, too, for farm birds, that they may be released
from cruelty and suffering. We give thanks for eggs and feathers, for brave,
cheerful songs in the morning and the wonderful, haunting, night prayers of
owls, mopokes, frogmouths and all nocturnal fowls.
    We praise the character of birds, their constancy, their desire for
freedom, their flair for music and talent for flying. May we always marvel
at their ability to fly. Especially we praise their disregard for the human
hierarchy and the ease with which they leave their droppings on the heads of
commoners or kings regardless. Grant them fair weather, fresh food and
abundant materials for building their nests in spring. Provide them too with
perches and roosts with pleasant aspects.
Dear God, guide our thoughts to the joy and beauty of birds. Feathered
angels. May they always be above us.
Amen.

Leunig

The Birding Shop
Australia's premier birding-related retailer.
www.thebirdingshop.com
__