birding-aus

Powerful owl/Fruit-bat

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Powerful owl/Fruit-bat
From: "Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:47:44 +1000
Hello all,

Just a couple of snippets.

Met up with Roy Sonnenburg at Slaughter Falls in
Brisbane with the aim to show the kids Powerful Owl.
We had White-throated Nightjars calling after a couple
of minutes .Then sat on a log as the sun sunk and thought
Billy (11) was softly imitating a Southern Boobook.
Billy duly said it wasn't him and only 20m away ,low
in a dead tree was an adult PO with a dead Little Red
Flying Fox in it's talons....blood all over it's face more
or less expressing to us to get on with it......."See ,here
I am....have a look and nick off" .So we did .
Thanks Roy.

An incredibly soft almost quiet "Hoo hoo"...,much quieter
even than any Boobook I've heard .
Is this normal at dusk?

There were 3 Bush Stone-curlews at the Brisbane Botanical
Gardens .How these birds survive let alone breed in the CBD
is beyond me.

Cheers,

Bill