birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater at Newstead, Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeater at Newstead, Victoria
From: "Daniel Gilmore" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:16:28 +1000
Hi all.

Today I made a special trip to Newstead, Victoria,  to see the "jewel" of the box and ironbark forests - the elusive Regent Honeyeater.  Despite heavy rain and strong winds, I managed to locate the bird in its (un)usual haunt in the main street where, like me,  it was doing its best to stay dry!  There was a high level of nectivorous bird activity in the trees frequented by the Regent, including Red Wattlebirds, Noisy Friarbirds, New Holland Honeyeaters, Fuscous Honeyeaters, White-naped Honeyeaters and Purple-crowned Lorikeets.

Anyway, no new information to add, other than the fact that the bird is still there.  I couldn't help but be amused by the name of the motel outside of which the bird is found - "Whispering Gums".  With the loud, harsh cackling calls of numerous Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Friarbirds, the eucalypts dotted around the motel were reminiscent of anything but whispering!!

Dan.
Daniel Gilmore
Bachelor of Conservation Ecology
Zoologist