birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters in South Australia and western Victoria

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeaters in South Australia and western Victoria
From: Paul Peake <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:13:00 +1000
Hello Australia,

Just a final (hopefully) point re the former status of Regent Honeyeaters in western Victoria as quoted by Chris (Tzaros) from one of his sources ("in the Yellow Gum habitat between north-central Victoria and the South Australian border, the Regent Honeyeater has never had better than vagrant status").  My recollection was that 'conventional wisdom' (whatever that is!) was that the Regent Honeyeater was formerly reasonably common in that area - a perception that is pretty-much in accord with much of what is written on this species in HANZAB5 pp 574-577, e.g. that it was "formerly widespread and numerous" and breeding in southern SA, "formerly a regular visitor around Stawell and Ararat" in western Victoria, and Yellow Gum (Eucalyptus leucoxylon) is mentioned several times as a habitat tree.

Why am I so obsessed with this?  Amongst other reasons, I was involved in the creation of new parks and reserves in the Box-Ironbark country of Victoria last year, and the decline of the Regent Honeyeater was frequently touted as one of the prime examples of biodiversity loss in that region.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Peake

89 Leinster Grove