birding-aus

Mystery Gull

Subject: Mystery Gull
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:30:51 Africa/Johannesburg
Dear Birders

I have posted a mystery photo of a gull on the folowing website:
http://www.birdingecotours.co.za/mysterygull.htm

I was wondering whether there was a birder who could conclusively identify the
gull from
the (few) features visible in the photo.

The only two black-backed gulls recorded in the region the photo was taken are
Kelp Gull
(Larus dominicus) and Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus).

Note: the photo was NOT taken in my home country, South Africa. I choose not to
reveal the
location or season the gull was observed, because I want to avoid biases - my
aim is to
see whether it is possible for more experienced gull experts than myself to
identify the
gull on the basis of features visible in the photo alone (quite a challenge in
my limited
experience).

With many thanks and Good Birding!
Chris Lotz