birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters around Maryborough, Vic.

Subject: Regent Honeyeaters around Maryborough, Vic.
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:47:59 +1000
Dear all, esp. Chris T,

G'day,

This is just a bit of a request for some clarification re the former status
of Regent Honeyeaters around Maryborough, Vic.  Chris said [my editing to
show the source of my confusion]:

"Regent Honeyeaters ... around Maryborough ... have never really occurred
as anything but vagrants ... They were once a common bird in the urban
streets of Bendigo and Maryborough"

i.e. - was it "common" or "vagrants"?

A few years ago, I spoke to Lyall Courteney - Maryborough field nat and
resident of many decades - who told me of (as I recollect) thousands (or if
not hundreds - certainly not just tens) of Regents in the forests (not just
the street trees - I checked this with him) around Maryborough in most
years at or around the time of World War II.  Also (on the street trees
issue), there are (old and not so old) Atlas of Victorian Wildlife records
for about half of the thirty or so 5' grids centred on Bendigo - again
suggesting they were widespread beyond the street trees (as well as
breeding and other records from a hundred or so 5' grids in various parts
of Victoria outside the natural range of Eucalyptus sideroxylon).  I can
image that Regnet Honeyeaters in the street trees might be more conspicuous
and/or accessible to birders.

What's the story?

Hope you're all seeing more birds than me (shouldn't be tough).

Paul Peake.