birding-aus

Flock of Sea-Eagles

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Flock of Sea-Eagles
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:06:00 +1000
Hi All,
As part of attending the Birds Australia members day on 31-5-2003 and a holiday over ten days in Tasmania (Tasmania really is a lovely place to visit.) I went to Port Arthur Area on 3-6-2003. On the way, I went to the Tasmanian Devil Park (about 10 km north of Port Arthur). They have a wetland bird area on an estuary basically in their backyard. Not a lot of birds there at the time but what was surprising was a collection of at least 8 White-bellied Sea-Eagles within an area of about 2 or 3 hectares. This included at one stage five individuals in binocular view at one time. I am familiar with pairs or sometimes three of these birds together but this seemed really odd to me. In the group was one adult female and the rest were in variously juvenile or immature type plumage. Apparently lots of fish have died nearby and got washed up into the bay, it was like the scenes on TV of the Bald Eagles at the salmon spawning season.
Another highlight of the trip was the pelagic trip on 1-6-2003, a whole day with almost glassy smooth seas and oodles of big, medium sized (and even little - Diving Petrels) salty-wet birds.

Philip