birding-aus

Digiscoping

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Digiscoping
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:43:04 +1000
Hi everyone

There have been plenty of threads about digital photography on this list, and a few comments on digiscoping (plonking a digital camera onto the pointy end of a telescope). Bob Inglis's "Notes" series on digital cameras is also a very valuable source of information.

Many of us want to take digital photos of birds ... OK we already do, but we want to take photos where the bird is big enough to make it obvious that it was the intended subject! So far most of my digital bird snaps have been fairly mediocre landscapes.

I've already had advice from a few people, but I'm keen to hear from birders who have already tried using a big optical zoom on a digital camera, and those who have tried digiscoping - especially if you've done it with a less-than conventional setup (i.e. all the digiscoping websites preach Nikon 4500 & Kowa or Swarovski scope). I know that if you use the best optics you probably get the best photos, but for those of us paying school fees there have to be other options!!

Comments straight to me please, or to the mailing list if you feel your comments are appropriate for (a) a wider audience and (b) permanent archival online.

T.i.a.

Russell Woodford