birding-aus

about "Travelling Birds"

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: about "Travelling Birds"
From: Celia & Russell Browne <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:28:22 +1000
I will be interested to hear other's comments of this 90 minute film
about bird migration.  It opens officially in the Melbourne area on 12th
June.

To quote from the official blurb:  "Travelling Birds" takes us on a
spectacular journey following the migratory patterns of birds through 40
countries and 7 Continents.  From Alaska to the Grand Canyon, from the
South Pole to the Amazonian Rainforest, we trip around the world with
our feathered friends, encountering stormy weather, predators and
experiencing their sheer exhaustion.

Subtly, but effectively, Perrin weaves in his case for environmentalism
and, when species are becoming extinct every day throughout the world,
this documentary is a valuable educational tool and reminds us that we
are not alone in this world.

Accompanied by a moving soundtrack, "Travelling Birds" is an Academy
Award Nominee for best documentary feature and is pure magic, guaranteed
to leave you soarding.

For my part I found the photography of bird flight amazing, the scenery
spectacular and the film breath-taking.

My criticisms:  there were two few captions (bird names);  the music
was, at times, intrusive;  and the narration (of which there was
fortunately little) was occasionally difficult to understand due to the
slight French accent.  No Australian birds are featured.  Much of the
photography is from ultra-lights and bird-mounted cameras.

The general public will probably enjoy this fascinating and educational
film, for birdos it may be slightly frustrating at times.

Celia in Melbourne