birding-aus

BP Conservation Awards

To: "" <>
Subject: BP Conservation Awards
From: Richard Thomas <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:02:09 +0100
Dear listmembers, I'm forwarding this on behalf of a colleague, I hope you
find it of interest.

Best wishes
Richard

Dr Richard Thomas
Editor World Birdwatch
BirdLife International
Wellbrook Court
Girton Road
Cambridge CB3 0NA
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel. +44 1223 279813
Fax +44 1223 277200
Email

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR BP CONSERVATION PROGRAMME 2004
US $600,000 FUNDING AVAILABLE & TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
DEADLINE - 31ST OCTOBER 2003
E-mail applications and enquiries to:

For more information see: http://conservation.bp.com

The BP Conservation Programme's mission is to engage, encourage and train
the conservationists of the future through the facilitation of sustainable
projects that address global priorities at a local level.   This initiative,
organised by BirdLife International, BP p.l.c., Fauna & Flora International
(FFI), Conservation International (CI) and the Wildlife Conservation Society
(WCS), helps young conservationists across the world to achieve their goals.
Over the last 13 years the Programme has supported 205 projects in 64
countries. The Programme works towards its aims through advice, training and
financial awards primarily targeting university students.

Financial Awards: In 2004 the Programme will be granting around 20 first
year awards and six follow-up awards. Awards for first time projects range
from £5,000 to £12,000 (US$7,500 - 17,500) and follow-up awards average
around £25,000 (US$35,000). Project teams applying for funding need to
submit an application by the 31 October 2003.  All projects applying for
awards must fulfill the following criteria:
· Address a wildlife conservation priority of global importance (preferably
linking with established work-plans e.g. national biodiversity action plan)
· Have a strong link with the country where the project will take place
(local people participating in all parts of project planning and
implementation)
· Have a majority of team members in full- or part-time University education
(under- or post-graduate, and of any age)
Full details of criteria and submission procedure can be found on our web
site http://conservation.bp.com Closing date for applications is the 31st
October.

Training: To increase the support given to conservation project planners the
Programme has developed a series of training workshops.  A representative
from each award winning team is given the chance to attended training
workshops on field-work techniques and project planning. In 2004, these
workshops will take place in the UK.

Advisory Service: Our website provides all details about the Programme and
award application process (including on-line application form) plus
essential information for project planners including proposal and report
writing guidelines, and links to essential web-based information resources.

We would urge you to consider whether you have any ideas for projects which
you think would be eligible and could benefit your scope of activities-
contact us: