birding-aus

Banyule Flats (Vic.) again

To: Celia & Russell Browne <>, "" <>
Subject: Banyule Flats (Vic.) again
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:14:51 +1000
Celia & Russell Browne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Lyn Eston reports that the Powerful Owl was seen this morning, 3rd
> June,
> holding a dead raven.  Directions:  Walk upstream from main car park,
> cross Plenty River bridge, walk past the end of Rosanna Golf Club,
> cross
> the boardwalk.  Not far from the clump of wattles the owl was in last
> week, face the river (on your right).  There is a large eucalypt
> between
> the track & the river;  the owl is about 20 feet up.  This owl seems
> like ravens!  I hope to check it out this PM.  Celia
I went there this morning, c.11.00 am till noon,  but hadn't seen your
message and so didn't find the wretched Owl, though I prowled about the
various wattle clumps both sides of the track most conscientiously!
  But I won't complain.
  Eight Yellowtailed Black Cockatoos just by the Plenty footbridge and
downstream a little. Two were working at groundlevel on a low branch
which was half broken off. I wonder if they take emerging Swift Moths?
  A mixed group of Brown and Yellow Thornbills in wattles beside the
track, near the 6 KM distance marker. Haven't seen Yellow Thbs here for
years, but maybe it's just my lack of skill.
  Near the track junction (where the track heads off to the old P.Owl
roost) there were a splendid Shriketit (male) and a male Golden
Whistler.
  All the usual suspects, but near the Swamp it was very windy and small
birds weren't very visible. I picked out one Grey Teal among the
Chestnuts and Black Duck. The pair of Swans plus some Cattle Egrets and
a solitary Strawneck Ibis. No Wood Ducks anywhere at all.
   How does the Powerful Owl catch Ravens? An early morning foray, or an
evening or night capture of roosting birds?

Anthea Fleming