birding-aus

Should Blue-billed Duck be listed as at least Near Threatened?

To: "iandowling" <>
Subject: Should Blue-billed Duck be listed as at least Near Threatened?
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:32:19 +1000

Why is the Devilbend Reservior being taken out of the water supply?

It seems very odd since we are still on quite heavy water restrictions....is it a matter of money?

Question: During periods of drought, do waterboards suffer  from cash flow problems and increased expenses? Would they in turn try to 'market' water as more plentiful and understate the true nature of a drought to increase 'sales'?

"iandowling" <>
Sent by:

01/06/2003 12:34 PM

"Stephen Gross" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
cc
Subject Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Should Blue-billed Duck be listed as at least Near Threatened?

Hi Stephen,
Sorry for the delay in answering but I've suddenly realised we might have a mutual problem. Melbourne Water has a proposal to turn Devilbend Reservoir here on the Mornington Peninsula into a park (600hec of which 1/2 is water area). The dam has been taken out of the domestic water supply. To finance,they want to allow fishing,small boat sailing,canoeing etc.on about half the water. The rest will be set aside for the birds (a long list including Blue-billed Ducks, Great-crested Grebe). Our problem is how do we tell the birds which end of the dam is theirs as they now use the lot. Pleased to say we are still fighting for the birds. By the by will rowing be a constant usuage for Spring Creek.
Ian D