birding-aus

Bendigo area and Terrick Terrick NP

Subject: Bendigo area and Terrick Terrick NP
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:31:52 +1000

I went up Bendigo way on the weekend to search for Scarlet HE's that were reported in the Sedgwick area. After arriving in Bendigo quite late in the day, and having to backtrack to Sedgwick, there was little light left to get any descent birding in.

On dusk however, we did drive into a comotion of Noisy Friarbirds calling in the surrounding trees. A new bird for me! Among the Friarbirds were Yellow Tufted  and White naped  HE's. A highlight of the stop, was a small ?marsupial? climbing down the tree.  I had my bins on a Noisy Friarbird and saw it actively looking at something on the trunk of the tree. Assuming it was chasing insects, i briefly scanned the trunk and saw a "rat-like" animals scaling the tree and making its way towards the ground.  I didn't get a good look at its head/face, but it definetly wasn't a rat, and looked like a native creature. The only real feature i can describe, was its wide leg reach that enables it to cling on to the tree and walk down the trunk. Having its legs so far apart made it look like it belly was almost touching the bark on the tree as it scaled down. Can anyone suggest what this small furry creature may hav e been?

After dark, we headed up to Terrick Terrick NP to camp the night. After sleeping through a horrendous night of rain and wind, we awoke to a chorus of bird song. Although the day stayed pretty miserable, there was plenty of birds around. Here's a list(in no particular order):

Galah

Black Chinned HE

White Plumed HE

Brown Headed HE

Diamond Firetail(amazing numbers)

Grey Shrike Thrush

Red Capped Robin

Southern Whiteface

Striated Pardolote

Jacky Winter

Peaceful Dove

Hooded Robin

Mistletoe Bird

Magpie

Mallee Ringneck

Willy Wagtail

Gilberts Whistler

Restless Flycatcher

White winged Chough

Common Bronze wing

Superb Fairy Wren

Yellow rumped Thornbill

Red Rumped Parrot

Eastern Rosella

Crested Shrike Tit

Varied Sittella

Wood Ducks

Brown Treecreeper

Temporary wetland on the Mitiamo-Kow Swamp Rd (5 minutes for Terrick Terrick NP)

Black Duck

Grey Teal

Red Kneed Dotterel

Black fronted Dotterel