birding-aus

Freckled Duck at Bowen Qld.

To: "Fisher Lindsay and Kieth" <>, "QOSI" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Freckled Duck at Bowen Qld.
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:39:26 +1000
Gooday all,
On Saturday 31 May 2003 I received a phone call from Tony Bischoff a travelling birdo from Lighthouse Beach Port Macquarie NSW.
He advised me that a Freckled Duck was settled on an island at Mullers Lagoon, could I come and verify the sighting.
Mullers Lagoon 20 00 12S 148 14 39E
You bet ya, a new bird for me if Tony is correct.
Camilla and I piled into the car and arrived within 5 mins., quick introductions and off to the location. We set up our scopes up about 200m from the bird that was settled with Hardhead and Magpie Geese. This allowed good size comparison. The most striking features were the tuft on top of the head and the very concave shape of the bill and forehead. The bird was very dull and Tony felt that it may be a female as he has had experience with this species previously in NSW.
We moved to about 100m and had excellent views of the bird with the sun behind us and to the side. Time 1030 to 1050. No interaction with any other birds closeby. The FD eventually waddled into the water and joined a group of Grey Teal and disappeared around the back of the island.
A new bird for Mullers Lagoon plus myself. Thankyou Tony.

Jon Wren