birding-aus

Sidney Nolan's birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sidney Nolan's birds
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:46:18 +1000
I'm tired of plastic bags, silvereyes and bad manners.Dig out your copy of the Weekend Australian Magazine from last weekend (May24-25), turn to page 17 and look at the copy of Sidney Nolan's "Burke at Cooper's Creek"painted in 1950. There are two birds in the painting,the one on the left flying in a weird and ungainly manner, brightly coloured with long trailing legs. The one on the right is plainer, flying slightly more normally, again with long trailing legs.
     I have my own ideas as to what the bird on the left may be, the one on the right is more challenging and may well have a large amount of "artistic licence".My ideas have been placed in a plastic bag in the freezer and will be revealed when others are game enough to post their views.

      Yours in art
           Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ