birding-aus

plastic bags and marine debris

To: "michael hunter" <>, <>
Subject: plastic bags and marine debris
From: "Reid" <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:52:04 +1000
Hello Michael,

Yes, I guess paper bags are ultimately made from woodchips, although there
are some (not a lot and in restricted sizes) made from recycled paper (which
is actually less enviro-friendly than growing new plantation timber, due to
the amount of energy required in the recycling process).  On the other hand,
plastic is made (as far as I know) from a hydrocarbon base (oil, in other
words).  If that is so, well we can grow more trees, but we can't grow more
oil.

The alternative I have always had in mind is the calico/cotton/linen bag
made from cotton or flax.  The second alternative to my way of thinking is
paper, which is biodegradable (and cannot strangle wildlife) whereas plastic
is (as yet) not (and can).

Also, I received a reply back from the NSW EPA.  Strangely, they appear not
to be aware of any evaluation of the measure after it was put in place - I
would have though that would have been a very basic cost/benefit analysis
exercise, at the very least.  The answer says, in total:

Quote:

I was unable to find any evaluation of on-going waste saving initiatives on
Lord Howe Island. The original Waste Grant was provided in 1997 and on the
attached file of information [http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/waste/wg-33.htm]
there is a contact name and number, however this may be out of date. While a
levy was recommended there is no mention of whether this was subsequently
introduced. The only other reference I found is at:
http://www.lordhoweisland.info/environ/eco.html.

You may have to contact the Lord Howe Island Board for further advice.

Unquote

Regards

Ralph Reid