birding-aus

FW: More North West Queensland Sightings

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: FW: More North West Queensland Sightings
From: "Marc Gardner" <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:40:07 +1000
G'day All,

Just a brief note about things up North. I paid a visit to the Fullarton
River, about 70k's West of Julia Creek on Sunday morning.  On the trip to
and from there we saw 4 Wedge-tailed Eagles, Brown Falcons, Spotted Harrier,
Whistling Kites, Black Kites, Nankeen Kestrels, Black Shouldered Kites,
Brolgas, Bustards, Yellow Throated Miners, Black Faced Woodswallows, Singing
Bushlarks, Brown Songlarks, Zebra Finches, Cockatiels, Black Faced Cuckoo
Shrikes, Spiney-cheeked Honeyeaters, White Backed Magpies, Torresian Crows,
Australian Ravens and Budgerigars.  We found an injured Wedge-tailed Eagle
sitting beside the highway that looked like it had been hit.  As we tried to
get closer to it, it flew off over a paddock being chased by a Black Kite
and a Magpie lark.  It's right leg looked like it was broken as it flew off
and there was blood on the face, but it seemed to have enough energy to fly
away as we tried to get closer to it....unfortunately we couldnt do much
more out in the middle of no-where.

At the Fullarton, there were a modest flock of budgies frantically feeding
on some grass growing in the dry river bed, White Browed and Masked
Woodswallows feeding on Melaleuca leucadendra blossoms along the river banks
with Varied Lorikeets and White Plumed Honeyeaters.  A single Painted
Honeyeater (male) was observed and, most obligingly, hung around for
excellent views (Painted H/E's, in my experience, have always been flighty,
timid and no sooner have you had a breif good look at them, they fly off,
not to a nearby tree, but over the top and way out of sight).  Other birds
seen included Little Crows, Apostlebirds (decent group of about 35 birds),
Galahs, more bl*&dy black kites again and Peaceful Doves.

Marc Gardner
Julia Creek