birding-aus

Not Only Plastic bags....

Subject: Not Only Plastic bags....
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:26:24 +1000
Hi all
Being only a relatively recent subscriber I may have missed discussion on
the following in the past but as the subject of plastic bags has been
raised I have to ask....
What are YOU doing about plastic milk bottles???
This, to me, seems to be the single most unbeliveably ignorant move by
ANY company in any "developed' country in the world.
I must admit, I, as, I assume, the majority of people, simply accepted
the transition from waxed paper cartons to plastic bottles without a
murmur. In this day and age that milk companies could get away with this
says a lot for apathy, disinterest or clever marketing. It only changed a
few years ago, rememeber? (in Qld anyway - I'm not familiar with the
other states.)
I now go out of my way to buy the cartons rather than the bottles. They
are not always easy to find, but I feel I am doing my own small thing to
help the environment. So......if enough people etc etc..
Maybe give a thought to your purchase next time??
As you place your carton of milk in your recyclable cardboard box or
cotton carry bag in some small way YOU ARE HELPING!!
(I saw some cotton shopping bags for sale at Big W on Saturday - $3.75 -
a bit rich I thought, you'd think ONE of the big retailers would take a
positive view and
give them away if you buy more than $30 worth?? Offer them at $1 each??
Give them away free if you return X no of plastic bags.....?? Anyone out
there involved in one of these corporations??? I believe there IS an
undercurrent of environmentalism in the australian culture that just
needs to be tapped - especially if it can be made easy and cost
little.....!!)
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......