birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant, Victoria

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant, Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 20:08:32 +1000

What is happening on the Western Treatment Plant?

The Oriental Pratincols have ensured many people have made the journey to the Plant and it has been great to meet fellow ‘birding-aus’ members.

We did not see the Pratincol today, but were delighted by 6 Glossy Ibis on the Paradise Road Ponds.

 Today seemed to be Spoonbill day, there were many Yellow & Royal along the banks of Little River.  There are still White-winged Black Terns about in full breeding plumage.  Musk Duck patrol the Little River and were in the company of 4 Great Crested Grebe the other day.

The duck are all in breeding plumage and are no doubt hoping the inland lakes will have some water in them so they can go north and breed.  The Blue-bills are living up to their name; the Freckled Ducks’ bills are becoming red, the Aust. Shovellers heads are a striking slate blue.

There was still Godwit at Paradise Road and plenty of Banded Stilts mixed up with the Avocet; thank goodness they have different coloured legs so identification is simplified.

There were numerous Whistling Kites about and on two occasions we saw Swamp Harriers harrying grebe, I was barracking for the Grebe.

There were very few birds on the Borrow Pits, it no longer attracts the many species since it was drained and now refilled.  I assume the food supply was altered.

Plenty of Pelicans, Swans, Cormorants, Silver gulls, Chats, Stilts, Wrens, Raptors, 10-11 species of duck are all there.

Last week there was very little wind, even the birds seemed to be more relaxed, the conditions were such that with the  fog, clouds, reflections  and still water ensure some great photos.

Regrards

Shirley Cameron

Werribee