birding-aus

Re: Redwood Park - Toowoomba: Eastern Whipbird

To: knightl <>
Subject: Re: Redwood Park - Toowoomba: Eastern Whipbird
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:32:38 +1000
And maybe  Dean Portelli was not justified in assuming the bird making the
"male" call was indeed the male.

Why could not it be the female that sings first?  Male chauvinism was rife
when Australian birds were first being studied by Europeans.  They would
have just assumed it was the male anyway.  If anyone can point me in the
direction of any study that has determined the matter, I'd be most grateful.

Peter Ogilvie has had a particular interest in whipbirds - even before he
took up residence in Upper Brookfield where he has them on his land.  I once
asked Peter if he could tell which was male and which female:  "Only if I
saw one lay an egg!" was his succinct reply.

I quizzed Peter Slater (the University of St Andrews one, not the Oz
version) about the whipbird entry in his (and Catchpole's) "Bird Song" book.
They discuss the duet (p. 175) but refer only to "Bird 1" and Bird 2".  He
said they carefully avoided the question of which sex initiated the duet,
and drew my attention to a paper about some central American birds where it
was established by laparoscopy that it was the females that initiated the
duet.

Cheers

Syd