birding-aus

Collecting dead birds (Vict.) ... licenses

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Collecting dead birds (Vict.) ... licenses
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 18:32:14 -0700 (PDT)
I've tried emailing Valerie and Karen privately but BIGPOND not Yahoo has it's on normal going problem.

G'day Valerie and Karen,

Thee only problem is you increase the financial cost factor to those
that actually do the wildlife rehab work? those at the coalface, it's
these fine folk that pay for caring of what truly belongs to all?

Thee total cost of caring for, one bird only, can get mighty expensive. Cleaning oil from a pelican can be, at times, cheaper then cleaning oil from a much smaller bird, an Egret for instance. Also it's NOT widely known that on this planet there is such a thing as an International wildlife carers license. I think it should be one carers license, if we should have one that is? for all worldwide wildlife carers with the revenue going to one
world wildlife fund or such.

Karen Pearson <> wrote:

Valerie Curtis said;

There was absolutely no mention of needing to obtain a license or any other legal responsibility on her part. This does not correlate with all the legal documentation that has been published on this site in recent weeks, but does seem to take a far more realistic and humanitarian approach to the natural instincts of people who want to look after any little wild creature they happen to find in difficulties. I applaud this attitude but do realise that the laws are not made for honest people. As far as I know the lady who phoned in was not a licensed wildlife carer.

I do realise you are discussing Qld but having recently joined Wildlife
Victoria I certainly believe permits for wildlife rehab are required in Vict. and the below mentions other states also.

Going from their web site

"The practical caring for wildlife is very different from caring for
domesticated animals and may be much more difficult and demanding than initially expected. A good deal of expertise and knowledge is required to provide high quality care to injured, distressed and orphaned wildlife. Whilst anyone can rescue an animal in distress, not everyone is allowed to care for and rehabilitate wildlife. In all states and territories of
Australia, a government permit or licence is required to handle and to
temporarily contain and care for native wildlife. Prior to applying for a
wildlife rehabilitation permit or licence, it is recommended that
prospective rehabilitators undertake specific training."

The "Code of practice for the welfare of wildlife during rehabilitation"
also states that all wildlife in Victoria is protected under the Wildlife
Act 1975 and that a Wildlife Shelter Permit is required from the DNRE.
Rehab volunteers also need to demo nstrate they are appropriately trained through various accredited courses/ seminars etc. It also mentions that up to three foster carers may be nominated under each permit to provide assistance to the permit holder.

For birds alone the Code of practice includes a full page of various cage
requirements and guidelines for various species and special requirements for rehabilitating waders.

Wildlife Victoria has a 24 hour wildlife rescue network called WILDLINE and I know NSW has a similar set-up with WIRES enabling prompt assistance and care by trained volunteers who are experienced in such matters as assessment, veterinary care requirements, quarantine & disease control, feeding and housing, handling and release procedures.

Cheers,
Karen.

Do you Yahoo!?