birding-aus

Murray Darling?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Murray Darling?
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
YES Sweetheart, G'day Chaplettes and Chaps,

I've just got my latest copy of Enviroinfo and thought this item might interest a few?

*snip*
In a bid to stem the current loss of electoral support to the Greens,
the Leader of the Australian Labor Party, Simon Crean, has released a
statement committing a Labor Government to restoring 450 gigalitres of
environmental flows to the Murray River within its first term, and
delivering 1500 gigalitres in environmental flow within 10 years to
restore the health of the river.

Mr Crean said that an immediate additional 450 gigalitres would be
necessary each year to keep the mouth of the Murray open, and the
Wentworth Group had advised that an additional 1500 gigalitres per year
would be necessary in the longer term to give the Murray "a moderate
chance of survival."
*close snip*

Okay all you folks that live along the Murray you can start pressing the buttons again ... wait a minute where's the water for the system refill coming from? Aaah yes Sydney of course ... silly me. Sorry folks I'm a tad anxious waiting for news from friends in Sydney re: the floods.

Penn

Do you Yahoo!?