birding-aus

Moult sequence of Magpie-larks

To: <>
Subject: Moult sequence of Magpie-larks
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:37:25 +1000
Dear birders

As Hanzab so far hasn't got as far as Magpie Larks, can anyone give me details on when Magpie Larks moult and regrow their primaries.

Reason is that a female ML has arrived on my back deck, very obviously used to people and, quickly establishing that I have a supply of raw meat and cake handy, is demanding to be fed in a loud voice after only 12 hours residence. I thought at first she had damaged a wing but on catching her I saw she had her left wing primaries cut to 2-3cm long so cannot fly except to jump up to about a metre or two, or plane down from deck to back yard where she is harassed by the local Aust. Magpie family and then hides under the deck where she is in danger from my cat as well as two locals. My cat is being kept under tight control at the moment but that cannot continue without risks so if the moult is to too far ahead, I shall have to give her to a Wires person until she can fly.

At the moment she screams blue murder if in any danger, and slightly less blue murder when hungry. Incidentally it's pouring with rain in Gloucester, NSW today.

Any info would be appreciated.

And what idiot would do such a thing as to cut the primaries of a common small bird.

Thanks