birding-aus

Collecting dead birds

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Collecting dead birds
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:48:21 +1000
Not all breaches of law are prosecuted (even counting just the small proportion detected). Surely the bureacracy would be most unlikely to bother pursuing a prosecution, if all that was being done was picking up roadkills etc for sending to a museum, (without a permit) if there is no reason for the bureacracy to doubt that that is indeed what is happening. The various fauna bureacracies in each state would surely have better things to do with their resources than to waste them on frivolous pursuits like that.

I have collected and donated such specimens several times and (although I have an ACT permit) I would continue to do so on that basis, if the situation (mainly condition & species of specimen and the distance to museum etc.) warranted it. The most remote place I have done this is a Pratincole I found dead by the road out somewhere in NW NSW, that I took to the NPWS office, if I remember rightly, at Tibooburra or a Brush Bronzewing I found at Jervis Bay that I took to ANWC in CSIRO in Canberra (in that case it also involved interstate transport, also illegal but who cares).

Philip