birding-aus

Tawny Frogmouth Territory Size

To: "'Lynn Jenkin'" <>,
Subject: Tawny Frogmouth Territory Size
From: Mike Tarburton <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 21:34:49 +1000
Dick & others interested in Frogmouths

I do not know about density levels of Tawny Frogmouths but Papuan Frogmouths on our campus live with less than  one square kilometre per pair.  There are often three in a territory for several months.

What I do know about Tawny frogmouths is that I have seen three and four occupying territories in Blackburn South and Banyule Flats, Melbourne.  The third and fourth individuals have always been immatures, and I do not know how large their territory or feeding range is.

Happy birding

Mike

Dr Mike Tarburton
Dean: School of Science & Technology