birding-aus

13 Duck Day (+OBPs)

Subject: 13 Duck Day (+OBPs)
From: "Greg Oakley" <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:09:51 +1000
Hi everyone,

John Harris mentioned the 12 ducks we saw at the WTP last week (3/5).
John, Tim Dolby and myself headed down there to check out the Pratincoles, Nothern Shoveler and try for Orange-bellied Parrot.

Soon after arriving at the (now prior) Pratincole spot we met Nick Day and friends - only problem - no Pratincoles! Despite dipping on the Prats, we quickly found the N. Shoveler and had excellent views for some time.

The real highlight, however, was getting on to Orange-bellied Parrots - Tim finding a pair on the side of the track at the the T-section lagoons. We were then lucky enough to see another one about an hour later at a different location, with excellent views as it sat quietly on the track.

We all then headed up to Paradise Road to check out the WW Terns (in magnificent breeding plumage). We stopped right at the old boardwalk and watched the terns for at least 20 minutes (over Borrie), not realising that the O. Pratincoles were probably right behind us!

Disappointing to miss out on the Prats, but nevertheless a great morning with N.Shoveler and 2 looks at OBPs,

Cheers, Greg

PS. I also made a mad dash down to Werribee on Friday (9/5) after reports that the OPs were still there. I met Celia Browne (and friends) while down there (who had seen them only a bit earlier). Again, I missed them (am I the only birder in Vic who hasn't seen them!!). That's birding!