birding-aus

Ruddy ducks & Spain

To: "Lawrie Conole" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Ruddy ducks & Spain
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 17:18:41 -0000

I agree with Laurie that the threat that Ruddy Ducks Oxyura jamaicensis pose in the the UK isn't obvious. Nevertheless, it seems that someone thinks there is a threat because steps are being taken to reduce their numbers which, I understand, are now considerable.

The situation in Spain would appear to be more serious because of the threat to the already scarce White-headed Duck O. leucocephala. Hybridisation is regarded as a real threat so there is a program to eradicate Ruddy Duck there. I think Ruddy Ducks have established themselves independently in each country as the result of trans-Atlantic crossings rather than escapes or deliberate introductions.

How do I know? Because I am visiting England and Spain in July/August/September and have been doing some research. I've planned an itinerary for 3 weeks in Spain doing a circular route Madrid to Madrid heading SW to Caceres, east to Alicante in Valencia, north up the coast to the Ebro delta in Catalunya, then westwards along the Pyenees. Yes, I know its the wrong time of year but despite strong protestations, my son and his fiance wouldn't change their wedding date! Very selfish!
    If anyone out there knows Spain well, especially in August, and is willing to comment, I could send them my proposed itinerary and desired species list.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136