birding-aus

strange gull at Boat Harbour, Kurnell

To: <>
Subject: strange gull at Boat Harbour, Kurnell
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 21:29:40 +1000
G'day,
I found a strange gull at Boat Harbour, Kurnell (just south of Botany Bay) today Tuesday May 6, on low tide at 4.30 - 5.00pm.
My first impression was of a Pacific Gull, as it was larger than the usual Kelp Gulls, with black upperwings and a massive bill with both upper and lower red spots. The tail was all white however, although apparently this occurs with moulting adult and aged Pacific Gulls. The strange things however were that the bird had brown streaks on its nape, and several of the primaries were finely tipped white (unlike the prominent white tips of the kelp gull).
I assume this was a hybrid Pacific - Kelp, but would that account for the brown streaks on the nape?
Any ideas?

Regards