birding-aus

Use of media ... exactly

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Use of media ... exactly
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 20:39:40 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Steve and Jill,

I totally agree with Jill re: giving away EXACT bird locations plus by doing so, aren't we killing off what could easily become a good, healthy and growing business here in Oz? bird tourism? etc., etc.,

When I read a report such as "I was cycling around Heidleberg when" that's fine due to the suburb size. I bite my nails hard when I see a report of a rare parrot at an exact GPS location. For isn't that telling the bird trappers and smugglers where exactly to go?

JAG tussling back control of my keyboard.

I wonder who taught Eastern Rosellas how to drop hazelnuts on human heads? must think they will break eh? human heads that is, which is what has happened, just wait till I catch up with that Ros.

jilldening <> wrote:

Steve,

There is a risk involved in publicising bird sightings, but it can be worded
to safeguard the exact location. I'm of the view that you can't teach people to value birds unless they know what it is you want them to value.

It's an opportunity to get some valuable information into the mainstream media. I try to target the mainstream media whenever I get the opportunity, because the readers are the same people who may do the wrong thing unless you give them a good reason not to.

EXACTLY!!!!

It is worthwhile giving information in the release about appropriate human behaviour for the continuing presence of the birds.

And about the species' behaviour too.
Cheers,
Jill

Do you Yahoo!?