birding-aus

Raptor Hornsby

To: <>
Subject: Raptor Hornsby
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 14:02:30 +1000
It's taken me a while, but following Andy Burton's note of 21 April re
raptors in Northern Sydney suburbs, I have collated the sightings in my
"House Log", for my place at the Pacific Highway end of Bobbin Head Rd in
Turramurra (ie about 4kms from the gates of Ku-Ring-Gai NP), which covers
from mid-August 1998 to now.

Whilst I know that I am not as diligent as I might be in completing the log,
I am pretty confident that the "unusual" raptor sightings would be correct
in numbers, with my two "everyday" raptors (Brown Goshawk, Peregrine) the
ones to miss out.  The Goshawk in particular makes frequent high and low
level sorties from the direction of St Ives, whereas the Peregrine is
normally seen at altitude (yesterday, for example, the bird was a tiny speck
up in the sky and even with my binoculars I couldn't sort out whether it was
a male, female or juvenile - the Noisy Miners - my usual warning device to
look for something - had no problems noticing it was there!)

My list runs as follows:
Peregrine Falcon)      at least 40 each, probably more
Brown Goshawk)
Hobby                        4
Nankeen Kestrel        1
Brown Falcon            1