birding-aus

Beginning Birding - ideas.

To: <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Beginning Birding - ideas.
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 16:21:19 +1000
I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestions Jenny makes below and am in the
same position regards to time and knowing how to go about it.  I'm certainly
another one that would be happy to present short talks to primary schools,
if given some assistance as mentioned by Jenny.  I have presented a talk on
whales to my daughters grade 3 class last year and while it is not something
that comes naturally to me, actually I found it quite scary!,  I think I got
by and the kids seemed to really enjoy it.   Having small props available is
something that seems to catch and keep attention.  I had a small amount of
video to show of a whale rescue,  a display of photos behind me, a large
inflatable dolphin to show basic cetacean anatomy that I let the class give
a name to and hang from the class ceiling for the term and some of the
children got to try bits of my scuba diving wetsuit on that I had worn to
rescues, while also discussing how hot they'd get laid in the sun with a
heavy thick wetsuit on ie; similar to beached whale with thick blubber and
storing heat etc.  Seemed to work well.

While my talk was a real amateur effort it would be great to have something
more formalised and structured on birding to present.  I'm sure there's a
lot you could come up with to do with birds.

Cheers,
Karen.
(ps. I think ex school teachers would be perfect for
this role too....... hint, hint.)

---- snip