birding-aus

Beginning Birding

To: <>
Subject: Beginning Birding
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 22:41:45 +1000

Hello Peter,

               No,  this is not a case of 'the grass is greener'.   There are natural pests in a tree species' home country that limit its' growth and spread.  Move it to another country where they are absent, and away it goes.

Pinus radiata is a pretty poor specimen in its home territory on the Monterey Penisula in America.  Not at all suitable for producing saw logs.   But it is a very popular plantation species in many other countries around the world.

To an Aussie, Eucalypts in San Francisco were simply amazing when I saw them in'67.  No insect pests to kill the leading shoots,  so great long pendulous branches.  Have an idea though, that I heard that later 'Cisco had one spell of extreme cold that did for them.  Probably more by now though.

In the animal kingdom, much the same applies, of course.  Foxes, rabbits and cats in Australia; Oz possums in New Zealand.  No natural predators controlling them, so they flourish - to the detriment of natives.

Syd