birding-aus

Murray Sunset NP

Subject: Murray Sunset NP
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 18:16:20 +1000
Hello all,

I headed down to Murray Sunset NP in north-western Victoria on the weekend. I explored some of the eastern parts of this vast NP and then headed west along Pheeny's Track to the SA border. Without having explored properly, large swathes of country at the western end seem to be recovering from the fire that I think occurred a couple of years ago. It was a little depressing to break through into SA only to find that there was no mallee left on the SA side of the border (apart from the roadside strip).

Highlights included:

Track that adjoins Last Hope Track with Pheeny Track- Striated Grasswrens, Gilberts Whistler, Shy Heathwren and Southern Scrub-robin. Rocket Lake Track- Mallee Emu-wren and a Red-lored Whistler. When I visited the same locality the following morning I wasn't able to find the whistler and I wonder whether it was an autumn nomad.

I also visited Mallee Cliffs SF where I investigated likely looking spinifex mallee on the NSW side of the Murray River. Regent Parrot was the most interesting bird here. I dropped into Yarrada SF on the Murrumbidgee east of Hay to look for owls on the way home. Two and a half hours of spotlighting yielded one Barn Owl.

Cheers

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW