birding-aus

Eurobodalla Seabirds: Arctic Terns

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Eurobodalla Seabirds: Arctic Terns
From: Peter Milburn <>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:59:56 +1000
I had the opportunity to be at sea east of the Euroboidalla Coast on
28-30th March 2003.  On the morning of Friday 28th at about 10:00, I
observed a sub-adult Arctic Tern about 40m from the boat.  Some 30 minutes
later I was lucky enough to see an adult Arctic Tern in full breeding
plumage at very close range over the boat.  I subsequently observed another
sub adult Arctic Tern at about 14:00.  All of these birds were heading in a
northerly direction.

At 09:30 on the morning of the 29th, another sub-adult Arctic Tern was
observed heading west.

On the afternoon of Sunday 30th March at 13:00, a group fo 3 Arctic Terns
(1 adult breeding and 2 sub-adults) was observed approaching the boat from
the north.  The birds turned and headed east after establishing that we
were of no possible consequence to their afternoon.

All of these observations were made in the same area in 60 to 80 fathoms
depth east of Moruya (Moruya Canyons).

Dr P.J. Milburn
Biomolecular Resource Facility
Australian National University