birding-aus

a (longish) note on twitching and twitchers

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: a (longish) note on twitching and twitchers
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:34:54 +1000
Hi all

Carol's description of her twitcher reminds me of a story told by a very
well known bird guide in North Queensland.

The birder involved travelled from a North American country to see a
particular species.  I won't say which country but it is between Canada and
Mexico.  On his arrival, the guide proceeded to drive for almost 40 hours to
reach the area.  As they drove along a track, a bird was seen to fly to a
dead tree about 100 metres away.  The guide checked it out and could hardly
believe it when it happened to be the desired species.  He told the visitor
who immediately leapt from the vehicle, looked at the bird for all of 15
seconds, turned to the guide and said," I've seen it now.  We can head
back."

Apparently, the huge payment involved, and a huge tip, softened the blow of
an 80 hour drive.

Now that is a TWITCHER!  We Australians have a lot to learn.

Cheers

Terry Pacey