birding-aus

Fitzroy Falls 21-23 March 03

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Fitzroy Falls 21-23 March 03
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:38:14 +1000
Hi everyone - a report from a weekend in the above area.  Various birding
highlights:

The walks around Fitzroy Falls were great, proffering Australian King-Parrot,
Scarlet Robins, and very confiding Pilotbirds
(a lifer for my friend Robin Murray, and great views they were as the birds
came out onto the walking path and stood and said
"look at me" - look we did).  A Beautiful Firetail caught us by surprise as it
was at least 6 metres above ground, foraging
in a casuarina.  The Lambertia formosa attracted Eastern Spinebills and New
Holland Honeyeaters.  Gang-gangs were heard, as
was a Superb Lyrebird which was expertly giving the calls of Crimson Rosella,
Laughing Kookaburra, Eastern Whipbird and
Australian Magpie.

Wingecarribee reservoir gave us Varied Sittella.

Carrington Falls gave us another surprise:  a Common Ringtail Possum in broad
daylight 3.00pm foraging on a eucalyptus
sapling at eye level.  Wow!!

It was a great weekend for orchids as well, finding Genoplesium woollsii,
fimbriatum and pumilum, Spiranthes sinensis,
Cryptostylis hunteriana and Prasophyllum striatum.

Cheers and Happy Times with Nature

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
S 33°50.278'  E 151°05.406'

Newsletter Editor:  NSW Bird Atlassers
Preferred email address: