birding-aus

Ticks in Gippsland

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ticks in Gippsland
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:48:54 +1000

HI All,

I spent the last 10 days birding in Gippsland and managed to visit many National parks and reserves throughout both east and west Gippsland.

Over the ten days i managed to add many new birds to my lifetime list, mostly the south eastern vic specilaties. I also managed to pick up a couple of REAL ticks! of the insect kind! Most unpleasant little blood suckers. Not exactly the kind of ticks i was looking on a birding holiday! ;)

Some of the new bird ticks i got plus some other sightings of interest include:
[NB. The location is where i first spotted the species - but many where seen at numerous locations]

Eastern Whipbird(Balook, Tarra Bulga NP)
Lewins HE(Balook, Tarra Bulga NP)
Lyrebird(Balook, Tarra Bulga NP) - Saw some amazing displays.
Crescent HE(Forster)
???Straited Fieldwren???(2 at Corner Inlet - very surreal yellowy green markings, ?female? had white chin)
Satin Bowerbird(Walhalla)
Wonga pigeon(Thomson River)
Pied Currawong(Many at Thomson River)
Olive Whistler(2 at Thomson River)
Sooty Oyster Catchers (2 at Marlo - Also saw 3 at Altona on the way)
Caspian Tern (1 at Marlo)
Flame Robins(2 in Coopracambra NP near Behive Falls - in a recently burnt area)
Brush Bronzewing(Coopracambra NP near Behive Falls)
Beautiful Firetail( pair at Mallacoota Aerodrome)
Tawny-Crowned HE(3 at Mallacoota Aerodrome)

Southern Emu Wren (Many at Shipwreck Creek Heathland walk)
White Headed Pigeon(Cann River Caravan Park - In tree above first caravan in centre row)
Varied Sittellas(Mallacoota Caravan park - at the point)
Brown Gerygone(Fairy Dell - Bruthen)
Azure Kingfisher (Wallagaraugh River)
???Glossy Black Cockatoo's??? (6 Cockatoos where heard overhead while driving along the Princess Hwy 10km North of Genoa(heading NE). We pulled over and jumped out of the car like madmen, to see them flying away in the distance. Unfortunately, too distant to make a positive ID, but i've never heard a cocky call like it....definently not yellow tails of which there were many in the area)

Notes: The White Headed Pigeon is apparently at the very Southern Edge of its range a may be of some interest to the wider birding community. It was in roost in a tree directly above the caravan we stayed in when i got up in the morning, so had probably spent the night in the tree(1st Caravan/Middle Row). There was a nest slightly above the position in which it was sitting, but by descriptions of pigeon nests in my field guide, it probably does not belong to it. May be worth investigating however)

I also added Swift Parrots, in a brief interlude to the trip back in Geelong. 2 where in an Ironbark on Montepelliar Drive, Highton, as reported on Birdline Victoria. While i was looking at the Swift parrots, a Golden Whistler flew into the same tree(strange for a suburban area i thought). Spotted Pardolotes where also in a nearby tree.

Peter