birding-aus

Re: RFI: Taroona (Tas.) breeding birds on the beach

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: RFI: Taroona (Tas.) breeding birds on the beach
From: jilldening <>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:27:44 +1000
Hi Michael,

I had a good laugh when I read your response below. You see, I was born with
a foot on each side of the fence. It is deep within my nature, and it is
wise that you have highlighted the fact that it is only one way to approach
matters. I don't compromise every time, but I will if it will give me better
than nothing.  I will usually have a win, and some compromise, you're right.
Those who go for broke have the potential to win all, or risk losing
everything. It's good that we are all a little different. I approach
everything with the question, how can I get a win out of this? And that
might involve compromise. I don't disagree with anything you say below.

 When offering some good points about extremists, I always use the example
of the suffragettes: I mightn't like their methods, but without them my
mother might not have had the right to vote. There is a place for everyone.

Inevitably, when you are a person who compromises, you will have opposition
on either side. I have lived with that for years. In the years I have spent
on the development of the Kakadu Beach roost, and now on its maintenance and
the steps which we are currently planning, I have stood between the purists
and the developers. The purists are still aghast at my consorting with the
enemy, but they have had to eat their words as we watch up to 2000 birds
come and go from the artificial roost. Mind you, it's fortunate that it
works. I risked having a lot of egg on my face. And at some stage in the
future that will happen. You can't win every time, and at some stage I will
fail. But that won't stop me from trying.

Cheers,

Jill

    25/4/03 1:14 PM

--