birding-aus

West Head, Ku-Ring-Gai NP

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: West Head, Ku-Ring-Gai NP
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:00:07 +1000
Hello all
visited West Head in Ku-Ring-Gai NP (Northern Sydney) today for a family barbecue and a look out over Broken Bay etc.  Lots of honeyeater activity on the road on the way up (mostly New Hollands) and I flushed two medium sized, dark brown looking pigeons off the roadside - possible Brush Bronzewings?

At W Head itself, plenty of small groups of Yellow Faced HEs flying through (in a generally northbound direction) at treetop height and Silvereyes heading in same direction but higher up.  Also a Whistling Kite and a possible Osprey (well out beyond Lion Island - didn't have my scope).

On the Koolewong Track (starts opposite the Resolute Picnic area) saw 2 Glossy Black Cockatoos (male and female) feeding in their usual quiet way in the casuarinas in the section that heads towards the lookout.  I was just explaining to my daughter that you often find them by listening for the crunching noises when they obliged.  Also a Grey Shrike Thrush singing well and some Noisy Friarbirds (not singing very well!).

At the Resolute Picnic area, highlight was a brilliant male Rose Robin, showing off in a patch of bright sunshine.  Also a female or immature with him, plus more moving Yellow Faceds, Noisy Friarbirds and a male Superb Lyrebird dithering about on the road.

Cheers
Tom Wilson